Friday, September 19, 2008

Hunting! Do not read if you are anti hunting...please

Yesterday Claud and I spent a good majority of our day in the woods. We got up at 5:30am and headed out, at around 7:30 I glanced behind us and saw that there were a whole line up of deer headed our way. This is highly unusual since in all the years we have been there they have been coming from in front of us, Claud planted food plots in the field this year and I guess the deer must like them because that is where they were coming from. Anyway, I got into the window and got my gun up, I watched them as they walked in and waited....breathing as much as I could to calm my nerves. I watched as the first doe approached who seemed to be a good size, I waited until she was in my sights and fired....I saw her kick a little as if she had been hit and Claud told me to rerack and hit her again to be sure...so I did and then I watched her limp off towards the south. Claud fired a lot and did hit one doe which dropped right where she was.
After a little while we got up and went to see Claud's deer and look for blood on mine. After we saw where Claud's was laying I started looking around for blood, and found a nice amount...we followed a good blood trail for a long ways, including finding a couple spots where you could see air bubbles in the blood, which means I hit her in a lung, I know she is going down now that I saw that! My excitement was very short lived however, we followed the blood trail until we came to the place it stopped...directly in front of the swamp which is very flooded and impossible to get through. I am a firm believer that if you shoot a deer you should track it as far as humanly possible...and we did, but unfortunalty she somehow managed to elude our efforts. I feel terrible that I was unable to find her not only because I know I killed her and she would be my first deer, but because I hate leaving deer lying...I hate hunters that shoot a deer say "must have missed" and never try to find it. This has always been my pet peeve and now I am stuck knowing I had to leave one behind.
So I suppose you can say I shot my first deer, but to me it wasn't tagged and I didn't bring it home so I can't claim it.
We also went out last night but all we saw was the same huge buck that has walked past us at 150-200yards and waved every year for a lot of years....he is a beautiful deer but he is also very smart and the chances any of us willl ever hit him are slim!
We are going out the next two evenings and Sunday morning. I am hoping for better luck, once I get my deer we are calling it quits until season however, we really don't want to spook the deer this early anymore than we did yesterday.
Well have a great weekend I will write more when I can!

No comments: