Thursday, September 11, 2008

Early Season Fast Approaching!!!

I am starting to get very excited about the upcoming early antlerless firearm season! For those of you that don't know, not only is my husband a die hard hunter I have been joining him for the last 3 years! Although I have not killed a deer as of yet, but as every hunter/huntress says "I think this is my year!"
I can't really say that I enjoy the hunting as much as I enjoy the quiet and the fact that him and I are together doing something we both enjoy alone. For the longest time I thought that the only reason I went was to escape the kids and spend time with Claud, but last year I was more into it than I have ever been! A few things happened last year that made me realize that I was serious about hunting. The number one would be that Claud took a 7 point during the bow season, as I don't bow hunt I was only there to watch. When I saw him shoot and realized that the deer was definatly hit good I grabbed my husband, hugged him, kissed him and kept repeating "you got him" I remember well the feeling of adrenaline that rushed over me. I can't explain in words how happy I was...the bad part was I think I was more excited than Claud...lol.
The second thing that happened was on the very LAST day of the late doe season, mind you I hadn't even fired my gun that year...we had 3 does come out...on MY side...and Annie Oakley the male version jumps out of his seat and positions himself on the floor of the blind directly in front of me!!! He shoots, he misses...the does stay. He fires again and hits the largest of the three...the other two stay. Now he knows damn well he got her....he also knows the others are still there and his wife may want a shot at one...he stays in his spot watching, in front of me and well for lack of better terms in my flippin' way! Then he turns around, looks at me and says "are you going to shoot?" Well cowboy where do you propose I lay my gun? On your shoulder? Long story short he did hit a nice doe...which I REFUSED to track. And I didn't speak to him for a day or was it two? I don't remember well...all I do know is in 8 years our biggest fight has been that one, and that folks has taught me I truly love hunting!
So tonight, one week from opening day of this early season my husband and I will go to the woods unarmed to watch and see what kind of chance we have next Thursday morning. I am going to be doing a lot of praying for the next week, and lucky for me Claud is using a bow....so hopefully I can steal a shot from him!
Until Next time.....

No comments: