Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hmmm....wondering out loud

So today was our home interview with the folks from Habitat for Humanity, it was a nice chat. I learned a little more that I didn't know about them and got to meet two very nice ladies.
After they left I got to thinking about the different things people have said to me about us applying for this house. I wish that they all knew what was involved with becoming a partner family (which we are not as of yet)
So I thought I would write it all out for people to see.
Step One: You happen to get lucky enough to see that Habitat is accepting applications for homeownership.
Step Two: You contact your local Habitat affiliate and get an application.
Step Three: You fill out a lengthy application.
Step Four: You wait nervously. (lol)
Step Five: You send more information to Habitat
Step Six: You wait nervously again (lol)
Step Seven: If you have made it this far you are very thankful...you are scheduled for a home interview.
Step Eight: A home interview is conducted by commitee members to assess your need for a house.
Step Nine: You wait again....(this is the step we are on)
Step Ten: Either your family is selected or they are not....let's say they are...
Path to homeownership:
You complete 300hours (per adult family member) of sweat equity not only on your home but on others homes also so that they may experience home ownership.
You are also required to take classes on finances and home ownership.
Then you must give a down payment of X number of dollars
You then take on a mortgage with a no interest loan, and repay it.

My problem is this I think a LOT of people think that Habitat gives these homes away...they do not, this is a myth. The homes are for low income families to give them a hand UP not a hand OUT.
I am praying that we will be selected of course, but I also will be just as happy to know that even if it isn't us that gets that house, someone who really needed it for their family will.

I am sorry to just rattle on and on, but I wanted to share a little of our personal life with you all. I normally wouldn't tell anyone about this sort of thing, but I am not ashamed to say we are trying to better our lives for our kids!
*stepping off my podieum to go to bed now g'night*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am keeping my figers crossed for you. I know it must be stressful waiting and wondering.

Mandy said...

Thanks Nickie...it is very stressful wondering, but worth it even if just for the experience;)